People can be intelligent in different ways, and even more so, they can succeed at very different things. There are many more factors weigh into career success than just academic intelligence. Research shows that people with high emotional intelligence are more likely to succeed than those with high IQs or relevant experience. Those who possess right balance of them that genuinely reach their highest potential. I like to think of the whole package as your “talent stack” — your knowledge, skills, accomplishments and your behavioral traits.
The Carnegie Institute of Technology found that:
- 85% of financial success is generated from people skills
- 15% of financial success is due to technical knowledge
- People prefer to do business with someone they like and trust, rather than someone they do not.
We predict career satisfaction and success based on discriminating factors: human behavior and competencies. Along with knowledge, skills, and accomplishments, these are the key differentiators in determining performance. High performers share a common subset of behaviors that they are incredibly adept at using. Our career assessment compares your profile with those from "high performing" individuals in a given role.
Headway Capital created the infographic below to highlight eight traits that are more important in your career than intelligence. We measure 85 behavioral traits, including the eight described below and 35 specific career themes to predict success with up to 85% predictive validity. As a test publisher, SuccessFinder maintains the most rigorous standard of reliability and validity —at level C1— as outlined by the American Psychological Association.
The infographic summarizes them into the following eight traits:
- Self-Regulation: Someone who can manage themselves rationally and professionally without supervision or guidance.
- A Growth Mindset: Determined to advance despite obstacles or setbacks.
- Resilience: They can face failure or defeat and bounce back quickly.
- Passion: They love what they are doing and are driven to do it by things other than money.
- Empathy: They are understanding of others’ needs and emotions, whether they be a client or teammate.
- Conscientiousness: Disciplined, Compliant, and excellent at planning. They are aware of their surroundings and make an active effort to improve.
- Openness to Experience: Excited to learn new things and explore new ideas and opportunities.
- Social Skills: Someone is warm, friendly, and cooperative when working with others. They are outgoing and energetic and enjoy interacting with other people.
Insights About Your Behavioral DNA Can Advance Your Career
We are incredibly passionate about Behavioral DNA and the impact this scientific insight can have on you. Using SuccessFinder, you can discover your behavioral strengths and challenges.
High-performers in the same role share a common subset of behaviors. Our talent analytics compares your talent stack — behavioral traits and competencies — with high performers. We show you how to leverage your unique talents to achieve career satisfaction and success.
Focus on your strengths and manage your challenges. You complete the assessment online, we then provide you report and personal feedback via video call. We offer the service worldwide. We’d love to hear from you!